Sunday, October 17, 2010
I'm Playing Tackle Football
Yes, it is true. I have been practicing with a semi-pro women's tackle football league here in Utah. I know a lot of people think I am crazy to try playing on this league, (with women who were mostly recruited from rugby and hockey teams--- just to give you an idea of their body structure) but all I could respond with was, "But when else am I ever going to have a chance like this---- to play on a semi-pro tackling football team?!" So, inspite of many warranted concerns by family and loved ones, I have been consistently going to the camps and conditioning practices.
Well . . . this past Saturday when I showed up to the football camp, the coaches called me over and had me fitted for a helmet and shoulder pads. It wasn't until this moment, this very moment when I was placing the helmet on my head, that I finally took a real look at these girls- my teammates- Suddenly I didn't feel as confident anymore. All along I'd been focusing on catching and throwing the football. Though I knew I'd be tackling eventually . . . .it just hadn't sunk in that I wouldn't just be tackling, but that I'd be getting tackled too.
Well, the truth of it all hit me real fast and hard, literally, when during one of the drills, I was tackled by a girl who is at least twice my weight. No exaggeration there--- and . . . it hurt! But, I'm on a football team--- I need to be tough right? The girl who tackled me even started to apologize for the beat down, but before she could finish, one of our coaches yelled, (somewhat jokingly, somewhat not) "Hey this is football! We don't apologize in football!" All I could feel was the pain shooting up my leg as I attempted to catch my breath after getting my partial wind knocked out. I knew I had to finish out the practice though.
But wow--- I'll tell you what getting slammed on the ground does for me--- it Motivates me to not let it happen again! For the next drill, the coaches prepped us to be wide receivers, (catching the long passes). We were supposed to go out and get the long pass, while dodging the tackle of a defender. When it came my turn to go out for the pass, as I faced my defender and heard the whistle blow- every ounce of energy in my body went into my feet. I faked the defender one way, and then shot out the other way--- slamming past the girl who was supposed to tackle me. I kept running- faster than I ever had in my life I think . . .seriously. All I could think in my head was, "if I run fast enough, she won't be able to tackle me." This is how I approached every run from then on until the practice ended, And, I can honestly say, I didn't miss a single pass, nor did I get get tackled again. It's amazing what getting tackled will do for your running speed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Jen, that is seriously awesome that you're doing tackle football! Good for you! If we lived in UT, we would definitely come to one of your games. And having two older brothers who both liked to practice wrestling/kung fu moves on me, I understand the important motivation of not getting caught! When you're on the field, just keep thinking: be quick like a bunny.
ReplyDeleteWhen you told me on the phone about getting tackled, the first thing I thought was exactly what you said- that'd be good motivation to put on the moves and the speed. And I also thought that you'd be able to do just that- avoid the tackle. I bet you're an amazing wide reciever. Sounds so fun Jen! I think you're really cool. So glad to be back in touch!
ReplyDelete