Sunday, September 26, 2010

I'm grateful for INCONVENIENT INSPIRATION

I LOVE MY JOB!! Something I never thought I'd say . . . . but teaching full time at a University is the BEST job I've ever been paid to do.  It's a definite blessing in my life.

When I first started teaching junior high and high school, the last thing I wanted to do when I got home from a long day of work was go to grad classes.  As any teacher knows, the 1st year teaching is the hardest and most draining on you.  At the time, other 1st year teachers at the school I worked at would tell me I was "crazy" for attempting to get my masters while teaching full-time.  I couldn't really say I disagreed with them either.  While many of my friends and/or family would sit around and socialize in the evenings or weekends, I would sit there along side them, working away on my lap top . . . . attempting to be a part of the conversation while writing a dissertation on Bloom's taxonomy at the same time.  I simply did not have the liberty to just socialize, there was always a paper to grade or an assignment to write; it was multi-tasking at its best.

And yet, I knew I'd received inspiration to get all the education I could, and to not delay doing that.

Anyway, here I am now, though, reaping the blessings of getting my Masters degree as I am teaching full-time at Weber State University and truly loving it.  The job is challenging, which I like.  It's intellectually enlightening- always a good thing.  I am not micro-managed and I also get tons of time off . . . . (I can't think of a job that gives you more time off than that of a University Professor--- seriously!) And, I still get to feel, as I did while teaching in the public school, that I'm not just going to work for a paycheck, but that I'm also going to help people become more successful in their lives.

I guess the bottom line is that I'm grateful for inspiration, even when it requires a lot out of me, or is not convenient.  The Lord saw a blessing in my future, so He mercifully gave me the instructions I needed to follow in order to merit that blessing.  The job I now have at Weber State opened up this past summer, right as I was finishing my Masters.  (In fact I accepted the job before I finished writing my final proposal.)  Jobs are in high demand, especially a job like this- in fact the Department Dean of Weber State showed me on my first interview just how many resumes were submitted for this job . . . . I'm guessing it was close to 200, (oh and BTW, that's not intimidating at all to see how much competition you have during the first interview!!! Yikes).  Had I not started working on my Masters in my 1st year teaching which everyone including myself thought was crazy, by the time I did finish my graduate work, this job that I now love, would have long been filled.

1 comment:

  1. Wow Jen. That's really neat how everything worked out for you. Your discipline paid off big time. What a blessing and miracle. I'm so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete