Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Northern Lights


I've always been so fascinated by the Northern Lights-- I can be kind of a science geek sometimes. I even tried to recreate the Northern Lights in my 8th grade science fair project, (not exactly successful- apparently you need to have some kind of a license in order to purchase concentrated forms of Neon, Hydrogen, Nitrogen, and Carbon Dioxide; and13-year-olds don't qualify for that license- crazy huh?) Anyway, recently the Northern Lights were spotted in Yellow Knife, Canada. Here's two pictures taken of it:



Last week, on the Idaho/Washington border, an even greater phenomena was spotted. It's called a Fire Rainbow- one of the most rare forms of Northern Lights. The event lasted for one hour. In order for a Fire Rainbow to form, the clouds must be cirrus, at least 20K above the earth and have just the right amount of ice crystals. If all these factors are in place, the sun then must hit the clouds at precisely a 58 degree angle. It really amazes me how miraculously detailed and beautiful the works of God are. It humbles me even more when I think that He says His greatest works though, are His children- creating them to become beautiful and miraculous like He is.

2 comments:

  1. I really want to witness at least one of these facinating events once in my life! So beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool. I have to show Kurt, he would love it. I miss you.

    ReplyDelete