Okay, so I have to admit, there are days when my patience wanes "a little" with my students at school. This past Friday was one of those days. One theme that the kids are CONSTANTLY taught in the school district, (especially at the elementary level) is that "there is no such thing as a dumb question". In fact, this is ingrained in their minds.
Well, on this particular Friday, my health class was rather hyper and were consequently struggling to remain serious as we discussed the effects of alcohol on the body. I showed the class a quick clip from a documentary. When I asked if there were any questions, the boys kept raising their hands to ask questions that had absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand and everything to do with showing off for their peers, (such as "Hey Ms. JJ- why does that kid in the movie have eyebrows that look like that?"). I finally looked at them and said in a mostly joking, (but with a touch of exasperation) "Okay, that's enough. NO more dumb questions!"
With that, to my surprise, SHOCK poured all over their faces-- a pin drop could have been heard in the room, (which doesn't happen all that often). I think they were all taken back by the 'blasphemy' I had just spoken.
In response to this I defensively added (with a smile of course), "Oh come on! Whoever said there is no such thing as a dumb question has obviously never taught 7th graders . . especially you guys!" The entire class burst out laughing at this. I continued, "So pick your self-esteem up off the floor- you're alright." We were all laughing by that time- since they knew that they were all being obnoxious. I imagine if the administration walked in at that moment, I might have had my job on the line. LOL- good times.
Sometimes I feel that we get so concerned about "hurting" a kid's self esteem, (especially in the public school system) in fear of being 'politically incorrect' that we might become a little super sensitive-- when in the long run, being able to genuinely joke around with teenagers and even tease them occasionally might be the best thing we can do for their self-esteem. Plus, if a teenager knows you will uphold consistent boundaries, I think they feel more confidence and have stronger characters. That's just my opinion though---
Here Here!!! I don't remember it ever being that bad when we were in school and it shocks me how "dumb" and irresponsible kids have become and us adults...especially teachers are blaimed for it and yet if we even try just a little to correct them or the problem we get in trouble. It really is a screwed up system now! I'm sorry you have to deal with it all day, but I can't think of anyone better for the job!!!
ReplyDelete